Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The dress.


[Julie draws my wedding dress at her "Dame Couture"]

The time has come for many things...
For cabbages and...wedding dresses?

This past weekend, Bernhardt and I took a trip to Julie Fehler and Holly Greenhagen's store Dame Couture.
http://www.damecouture.com/

"Our wedding dresses combine retro details with modern lines, for a fresh take on bridal. And if you don’t see exactly what you like on the rack, we’re happy to customize a style or start from scratch. We love to come up with that one detail that makes your dress perfect for you." (Fehler and Greenhagen, About Dame Couture).

PRICE:
"Prices for our styles range from $1,600 to $5,000, with many dresses around $2,200. Custom designs start at $2,000."
SO...it's budget friendly! And think! It's a dress made just for you! Amazing!

As you can tell by the little smirk on Bernhardt's face, we had a fantastic time - I tried on lots of samples, we drank sparkling water, and Julie made us feel...well, happy and special...the way you're SUPPOSED to feel when buying a wedding dress!

How the first fitting works: (my experience)
I really want to go with a vintage inspired theme in my dress...something 50's inspired...something...something...yeah. I think I said "something" a lot, but she was totally cool about it. First, Julie showed Bern and I different samples and fabrics. We picked dresses that had attributes that I fancied. I brought in my own little vintage party dress and showed her the aspects I loved about it. Then, I tried on lots of stuff...seeing myself in all of those different dresses was interesting. Some were totally not flattering and some fit like magic. Bernhardt said he got a little misty and really excited seeing me come out of the dressing room with all of those gowns on.

(me talking about dress stuff...with my elbow)
After I tried on all the dresses, we sat down with Julie and talked about what we all really liked. Julie took everything to heart and made a sketch. We left on a high note...and I've been thinking about things for a few days. I am going back again on May 17th to tweak the idea...but I know we have a winner. I'd post the sketch, but I want it all to be a surprise!

*a note - lots of people think it's bad luck for the groom to have anything to do with the wedding dress before the bride has it on. Granted, I want the final product to be a surprise, but I seriously trust Bernhardt's eye. I wanted him to go to the first fitting because he's my most trusted confidant. Plus, I refuse to believe in bad luck (chainletter people be damned!). But now he has to wait until next year to see the rest of the dress, just like everyone else!

6 comments:

amanda said...

I'm so excited you are going to Dame for your dress! It is right around the corner from my house. When you come back on May 17th, stop by! There is actually a huge neighborhood garage sale that day!

amanda

ps. i'm sad to hear you are moving! we need to hang out! i want to hear all about your student teaching!

Stacy said...

No WAY!
Really? FANTASTIC! I am totally coming to your house when I'm done (or I can call you...I'll be done around 10am). I LOVE garage sales!

Don't be sad about my moving...it just means you have a free place to stay in Charleston!

peachey said...

you're a dame yourself, so it's only befitting!

so exciting!!!

p.s.
i'm here now:
http://purpleinme.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Oh that sounds so fabulous. I love 50s style dresses...I have several party dresses with 50s sorts of cuts and they are my favorite! I'm so excited for you. If I didn't already have my dress purchased, I'd be tempted to make my own appointment.

amanda said...

just come over! we'll be in the front yard hocking our crap!

4020 N. Springfield, just south of Dame, if you get to the train store, you've gone too far!

Stacy said...

HA! I love it - the train store. InDEED. We already have all the model glue we need - your house it IS!