Sunday, July 6, 2008

K.I.S.S.

Bernhardt was a marketing major.
When he was in college, one of his professors gave him this bit of advice about writing papers:
K.I.S.S.
Keep It Simple, Stupid.

I thought of this the other night at dinner.
Bernhardt and I MOVED TO CHARLESTON last Sunday (it is wonderful here) and family has been popping around to help us with the unpacking and the settling in...and the helping us eat at restaurants thing.

(us, two days before the move)
At dinner with B's parents, I went over the catering packet prices I have received since I started making calls...number to make your tummy drop. Everyone I have called has given us $14, 500" as the MINIMUM wedding cost. I have stressed our small budget, but no one has really listened. I think these companies believe that we will just ACCEPT the expensiveness of it all. However, we're not willing to go into debt for our wedding. It's SILLY. It's just a party.

As we went over the numbers, Bern's stepfather (Marty) said, "why don't you just have heavy appetizers?" and we stopped. We've been trying the "buffet" thing, but for the sake of an evening wedding and not being tacky, we've been trying to feed everyone a banquet meal. Sadly, we can't afford to do that. Instead, on our invitations, we are going to let everyone know we're just feeding them "heavy hors d'oeuvres". We're going to KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID.

There have been a few catering places that have not called me back when they heard my shoe-strings budget. I find that insulting. Not everyone planning a wedding is RICH - and I KNOW city companies want to make money, but still. The idea of THE MILK OF HUMAN KINDNESS in wedding catering should be out there. TEACHERS get married every day, OK? And we don't have doctor budgets, thank you very much. SO. I'm going to call every catering place on that park list (the district gives you 12 choices for caterers) and I'm just going to be very firm about the money situation. My phone calls in the beginning were a bit embarrassed of my small budget and I don't think I got across the importance of AFFORDABLE.

This time, firm K.I.S.S. planning is ON!

2 comments:

karen said...

Realistic budgets need realistic expectations.

What are you willing to compromise on to stay within your budget?

Friday instead of Saturday? Luncheon instead of Dinner?
Shorter reception time?
Top round of beef instead of prime rib?

Appetizers are labor intensive and are much more expensive (pound for pound) than meal portions from a buffet, and your guests will each wish to consume from 12 ounches to 20 ounces per person.
I do not believe you can save money by offering heavy appetizers vs. a buffet. If a caterer says that they can do it, get an estimate in writing with the actual amounts (weight and/or # and or size) of each item.

If a caterer does not get back to you, that may mean that they do not believe they can help you.

Why would you expect a caterer to give you a better price if you are not willing to act realistic. Ask the caterers if they have any menus that are less expensive, or what would they do if they were having an event with your budget.

Stacy said...

Thank you for your comment. The catering has been the toughest thing for us to wrap our heads around. Unfortunately we can't change the wedding date. However, I CAN change my attitude. I am going to take your advice and will set realistic expectations to go with my realistic budget:). I love the idea of asking them what they would do if they were having an event with our budget. What a great way to phrase that! Much appreciation to you.
SM