Sunday, January 13, 2008

Matron of Honor...


(my friends Chris and Emily and their wedding party)

I have made only one decision for the time being about the whole bridal side/maid thing: I have asked my dear friend Malissa to be my "Matron of Honor" and she said YES! We celebrated by going somewhere out of our element - the MALL. We got lost on the way to the burbs and giggled our way to Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, and DELIAH's! (a walk down memory lane...because seriously, we felt old in there!) - we also splurged on Aveda things. Retail therapy felt good. We drove home munching on Twizzlers - it was one of those days where being a girl was the best thing on Earth!

We had some nice talks regarding the wedding - both Bern and I are having trouble deciding who to be groomsmen and bridesmaids. Is it a practical decision? There's a lot of work involved in the "honor". Is it partially heart and partially who SHOULD be there? Do people even WANT to be in the bridal party? Will anyone get their feelings hurt? How many is too many? It seems like the most exciting yet daunting task - and I feel torn - I mean, I can't pick everyone I know to stand up there with me...but I want to...


(my friend Adam dances with his bride and her bridesmaids at their wedding)

When I was younger, I always thought of bridesmaid picking as kind of a popularity contest - like, if so-and-so is your favorite person ever, you pick them. That was before I was engaged. Now I realize, in the land of friendship, at least for me, it's impossible to pick favorites. We have those we call our "best friends" - these are the people that are friends forever...but I find my dearest friends are scattered across the US - and the kind of work that being a bridesmaid entails might not be practical for those I want to ask. They may just want to fly to Chicago and be duty free...

So...since this is totally tough, I have decided to wait until June to make the bridesmaid call. That's plenty of time to just CHILL.

No comments: