Sunday, January 6, 2008

Summer...


My foot, walking on my street, last summer...

We've decided the summer after next would be a nice time to have a wedding - that way I'll have my career in check (I finish grad school and will have finished my first year teaching at this point) and the summer will be MINE ALL MINE (demonic laugh insert here)...

I'm nervous about it. That means the real planning starts this upcoming June. Which means a budget shift on our part...more money faster...etc. SO - I've started thinking about ways to save money NOW.

1) PerPerson Engagement Party - if you don't know me, check my other blog (see my profile...it's the only other blog listed) - what we (my partner Malissa and I) do is have nice big parties for not a lot of money - the last party we had was a Hobo-Chili party - we made enough food to feed 24 for $38 - that's $1.58 per person (get it?). I want to have a super cheap but large engagement party - the budget will be a bit larger than usual...because I want to have drinks...but I know we can do it.

2) Friend favors - what artsy friends do I have and what kind of favors can I pull? I'm thinking "do me this favor and don't worry about a courtesy wedding gift" kind of thing...we know lots of creative people. I'm keeping this one open...

3) Gift after reception - I got all over-excited and thought a cool thing for a wedding reception could be to rent a photobooth...I'm all over it...as an option...guests could take a photo for our wedding book and leave with one of them? That beats chocolate with our names on them...
although my friends Malissa and Jeff gave people pears at their wedding...and that was AMAZING - wow, stream-of-consciousness here...so much in my brain...
Produce is good.
Another friend had bottled water as their gift:

It was fantastic to have during the ride home...

4) Wedding dress: Malissa told me a cool place (I heard her say "Damn Couture" but I know it was something classy...what was it?). J.Crew has a nice affordable wedding collection...and indiebride.com has a nice section where people sell their dresses. I want to spend $800 or less on my dress.

And last but not least...
5) Who to invite? This helps the food budget. The list starts now...and man, oh man, I want to invite EVERYONE! Why not, right?

I will leave you with a picture from Malissa and Jeff's wedding in 2005 -
A Motley Crew:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://damecouture.com/

DAME couture...not DAMN...

my dress was $700, custom made for me and all that. it would've been less if i hadn't gotten the embroidery on the princess panels.
if you can't find anything ready-made, definitely talk to the dames! they're sweet and they'll totally work within a budget and still make something beeeeeautiful.

Stacy said...

HA! I KNEW if was SOMETHING like that! Good to know! MUYAH!